Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Love Dare

So I have been reading the book The Love Dare by Stephen and Alex Kendrick. It's a 40-day challenge for husbands and wives to understand and practice unconditional love. It gives you 40 dares to really apply what it means to be a selfish, sinful human trying to love someone unselfishly. Within the first 3 days I was hit hard with the way I show love to my husband. The book calls for something as "simple" as showing your spouse patience in very practical ways that many times you wouldn't think of. I am only on day 12 and I absolutely LOVE this book. It really has been making me more humble and appreciative of the amazing gift my husband is to me.



The principles of the book are based on Scripture, which is super important to me. I will be trying to update you more on how the love dare is going, I feel some days (like buying a random gift for your spouse that they have been eying for a while) is not as hard as others (giving into a conflict you and your spouse are having and letting him "win", even if you feel he is totally wrong. So you can show you spouse that your love is more important than trivial things that are not worth fighting over). 




The best thing yet, this book has shown me not only how to better love my husband, but how to better love God and His people. I use the daily dare to do something for my spouse, but when applicable, I also do the dare for someone in my office, or my neighbor or someone I randomly come in contact with. It really is helping me to show His love in very practical ways. I love how basic and to the point this book is.



I really wanted to read the book secretly so that James didn't know and eventually see if he noticed a difference in the way our relationship has been growing/changing, however, we have absolutely NO alone time to ourselves so there was really no way in hiding it. Although, I did decide not to share so much what I read and what the dares are, but sometimes I do tell him what I have been learning. I really feel like I am growing!


Has anyone else read or plan to read The Love Dare? How did it go? What where you experiences? Did anyone see FIREPROOF, the movie the book is from? I thought the movie was kinda cheesy, but I did like the basic principle of working for your marriage and not giving up, no matter how hard it is.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

FIREPROOF was like a slap in the face that we needed. Our marriage was EXACTLY like that...angry husband, disrespectful and shut-down wife. Doing the Love Dare (actually, a spin-off version that my best friend created for me in a moment of desperation when he saw that our marriage was sliding down the hill) saved us. We're still together...thanks to God. And the Love Dare.

Eva said...

now I do want to read this for sure! it sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing about it

Olivia Grace said...

Shawn and I read this book together last year and it was amazing, so eye opening!! We plan to do it again this year, it really brought us so much closer!

deanna@delirious-rhapsody said...

i'm definitely going to be checking out this book! i love peppy with all my heart, but sometimes it's so hard to actually show love after taking care of two little ones all day long.

The Sims II said...

I have seen fireproof but never heard of this book. I cant wait to pick up a copy. You can never find enough ways to love your spouse!! Thanks for the heads up!!

She Said... said...

I am so glad to hear to many positive outcomes from this book and I look forward to hearing what you others who have yet to read it think of it! I am learning so much on how to show James really just how much I love him. It is very eye opening!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...