Monday, September 12, 2011

my first run at cake pops

I finally had some time to try out my new cake pops maker. I decided to make a cake pop "bouquet" for my sisters birthday on Saturday (realizing how old my youngest sister is getting makes me feel REALLY old. haha).  The process was actually really fast and pretty easy.

I started with a box of Funfetti cake mix, since that is my sisters favorite. I used "creamy supreme" Pillsbury vanilla flavored frosting and I used wooden flat popsicle sticks instead of the traditional white lollipop ones. 
 The cake pops maker by BABYCAKES was SUPER EASY to use. It heated up within a matter of minutes! It was compact enough that I still had plenty of workspace in my kitchen. The instructions were simple, just plug it in and wait for the green ready light to come on.
 The cake pops maker has room to make 12 pops at a time.
 You just fill each compartment, close the lid and wait 6 minutes.I put the cake batter into a plastic bag and cut the tip for more precise pouring.
Then at 6 minutes, open up the lid and voila. they are done. The cake mix made about 6 dozen cake pops. (we didn't even frosting them all and are now snacking on mini bald cupcakes)

Then pop them out with the pronged fork that comes with the maker and sit them on the cooling tray that is also provided. 
Once cooled, put the sticks in and stick them in the freezer for 15 minutes. 

 Instead of candy melts (usually used for these) I went with the vanilla frosting we already had in our cupboard.   We microwaved the frosting about 15 seconds to make it easier for dipping.


 Then just shake on some sprinkles and your good to go.


 
   Since this was my first time there are definitely some things I would improve on for the next time. I think candy melts would help since the frosting didn't "dry" that fast and the frosting would still drip off after a while. I also would make sure to get a foam block to put the pops in while the frosting dries. I ended up using the foam pieces that came in the shipping box of the cake pops maker. I also would try using the cute little white lollipop sticks since it makes for better presentation.



7 comments:

Jazmyn said...

I didn't know they made a little machine thingy to make these. I've always wondered how the do it!!

Petit Monstree

Crystal M. said...

You did a great job- they're so cute!!

deanna@delirious-rhapsody said...

they turned out so cute! and now my stomach is growling a little.

Mom said...

And your sister Loved them... But she didn't even offer us a taste... Tony had asked if we get that inseat of cake and she didn't answer. Can't wait to try this at Chloe's birthday party.

Callie said...

That is so fun! I love cake pops.

Mrs.S said...

I had no idea there was a such thing as a cake pops maker. I have had cake pops, but to be honest I wasn't the biggest fan and didn't get the appeal. Yours look so yummy!

The Sims II said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Just added this to my christmas list :)!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...